Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Your writing is your legacy


My cousin passed away last year. He was my oldest cousin, and his passing was a frightening reminder of how quickly the years eventually leave us all behind. He was our oldest cousin, and I always looked up to him. After all, he was a “college man” when I was still a child. His father was a very talented man who worked as a graphic artist and also played guitar in local jazz bands.
I’m afraid my Cuz was affected by his father’s talent in a negative way. My uncle cast a big shadow, and J never fully emerged from its gloom. J was a very bright and outgoing young man in his own right, but he struggled with career objectives, finally resorting to house painting to make ends meet. He often talked about the book he was writing at family get-togethers; a story of the 1960’s (which was the era he reveled in), and he never lost the love he had for those turbulent times and the rebellious nature of the emerging new culture. Indeed, I believed him to be a true Beatnik; forging his own path to fame with the written word.
J seldom worked after suffering a debilitating injury one day while painting. He still managed to get by one way or another. He married twice, raised three children, learned to create airbrushed T-shirts, and in later years returned home to care for his mother after his father’s passing. Talk of his book ceased, although we all remembered he had been working on it.
I recently asked my father’s only surviving brother if J actually did write a book at all, as his children found no manuscript when they went through their father’s belongings after his memorial service. He told me that he had indeed seen it, but J would not allow him to read even a word of it. We both reasoned that he must have thrown it away, or destroyed it in a private ceremony of frustration and insecurity.
“What a shame!” I replied. Within those pages were the thoughts and feelings of an intelligent and honest man, who experienced considerable trouble finding his way (due to factors that none of us will ever understand). I always felt he lived his live as it was still 1967 (new millennium notwithstanding). So deep was his love for the era, that his pages must have been filled with characters and events we will never witness, from a perspective we will never see.
Everyone leaves a legacy of some kind; a miserly rich man who refuses to help anyone in need, a father or mother of six who raise happy and successful children despite overwhelming odds, a record-breaking athlete, who thousands wish to emulate…the list goes on and on.
J’s legacy was one of kindness, of humor, of eccentricity, of three wonderful children, and the children of theirs…so he will live on in people’s hearts and minds for decades to come. And his DNA (though continuously diluted) will continue to populate the planet for all time. But the legacy of his written word has been lost forever. It does not matter if his book became required reading in educational institutions one day. If his work affected even one person in a positive fashion, it would have been worth the painstaking effort he put into it.
I am not afraid to let people see my work (although I felt like a stranger was picking up my newborn child for a while when I first printed my manuscript). But by the time it was published, that trepidation was replaced with pride. I did something that many talk about, but few accomplish. And it is a legitimate piece of who I am as a person. It is my legacy, and although it may disappear over time in its physical form, it may make a positive impact on thousands I will never meet in the meantime. So I abandoned my reservations and put it out there. This is part of my legacy. I will never regret it.www.happybaynovel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment