Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

“Nakationers” explained. Book excerpt from Happy Bay:


“But isn’t it strange being around naked people all day?” Sandy asked him,
“It was a little strange at first,” he confessed, “At first I thought they all must be crazy. Why would you want to walk around like that all day and all of the night too?” He leaned closer. “And most of them would look much better with their clothes on. But the more I saw them and the more I talked to them, I began to think they are the only visitors here who have it right.”
“How is that?” Sandy was intrigued.
“When I worked on the Dutch side,” he replied referring to the other side of the island, “All I would see is people running to get in their cars, to rush to this place and then to that place. To eat their food, then get up and leave as fast as they can to go to yet another place. That is not a vacation. That is living the same life they left, just in another place for one week. But these people…” he paused to acknowledge a couple waving to him, “leave everything behind. Not just the clothes. They get up when they want, they go for the walk, they eat with leisure. They take the nap, they swim in the ocean. They lay in the sun, never looking at the clock. When the sun goes down they come in here to eat and drink and dance. The only thing they worry about is the day coming when they have to leave. Now that to me is a vacation.”
He picked up a slice of baguette bread they had been sharing along with fresh pineapple slices. “I see the look on your face when you are floating in the ocean. Do you not feel it too?”
“I guess I do,” Sandy was thoughtful, “But I don’t like people watching me.”
“Ah, but that is just your youth,” Michael continued after swallowing, “You do not want just anyone to see you as you were born. You are young and beautiful, but do not feel beautiful. Or perhaps you feel too beautiful to be seen this way. But these people…” he gestured towards the returning walkers in the distance, “Feel beautiful inside and out. It does not matter what others think. If only for a week, they feel completely free and full of beauty.”
Michael rose from his seat. “I’m afraid it is time to begin my day. It is always a pleasure to speak with you Solange. Until tomorrow then?” Sandy thanked him for breakfast and turned to leave. When she reached the single step down to the beach, she turned back.
“Michael?” He looked up from placing their dishes on a tray. “What about me?” He tilted his head with confusion. “Better with or without the clothes?” she teased.
Michael shook his finger at her. “I made a promise to my wife on our wedding night I would look only into the eyes of the pretty girls…and even then not for very long.”
“Good answer,” she replied and headed back towards L’Hôtel sur la Mer, nodding and exchanging morning pleasantries with the people she passed along the way. She had gotten used to seeing them this way. They all looked so proud and happy. Michael was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment