Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Conversation with God


This is not book related. It is just something I felt I needed to do in a time of great sadness.

A close friend passed away suddenly yesterday. He was an integral part of the extended family that is the Turning Pointe Dance Studio, where both of my daughters trained alongside his own. He was one of the “Dance Dads”; a small group of males that never seemed to mind sitting for hours in the studio’s lobby waiting for lessons to end. He was also the chief engineer and carpenter when it was time to build the props, the unofficial stage manager, hustling those props in to place between numbers behind the curtain, and always one of the lead dancers during the highlight of each year’s recital: “The Dad’s Dance”.

Brad was one of those rare people you encounter in life who give tirelessly of themselves with absolutely no thought of reward, other than the reward of giving itself. A class act with an ever-present baseball cap.
His passing was a completely unexpected shock to the core of our being. I can see the effect it has had on all of us. But it must have come as quite a shock to him as well.

This is how I imagine his passing went for him:

A Conversation with God

When Brad went to work on Tuesday, it was to be a day like any other day. He must have felt as if he had fallen asleep, because his desk and office were suddenly gone, and he was standing in a room full of brilliant white light with a man he felt he knew, but could not readily recognize. Ever the polite one, Brad asked the man, “I’m sorry, have we met before?”

The man said, “You have known me all of your life, but I do not blame you for not recognizing me. This is the first time you have really seen my face.”

Brad looked around. “You’re God, aren’t you.” The man nodded and smiled.

Brad looked around again. ”This can’t be good. I’m still a young man. I still have a lot to do. I have a wife who needs me. I have two children who need me. I have work to do. The recital is only a few short weeks away. They are all going to need me. I haven’t even started learning the Dad’s dance yet.”

God said, “I am truly sorry my son. This is your time.”

Brad was incredulous, “But you’re God! You didn’t have to take me now. Don’t you know how this will affect people?”

God said, “I wish I could control people’s destiny. I wish I could end wars, alleviate suffering, keep tragedy at bay. But all I can really do is watch from above and hope that people remember I am with them always to offer comfort and bring them joy.”

He continued, “I wanted to be the first one to greet you. Others are waiting, and they are anxious to see you again.”

Brad responded with a quizzical expression, “But why would I get the special treatment? I’m just another working Joe.”

“That is where you are wrong,” God answered, “You have spent your life in tireless service to others. You never turned your back on someone in need. You gave of yourself with no thought of reward. That is how I would live if I walked the earth again.”

“Well, if you say so,” Brad was a little embarrassed by the compliments. “But I want to see my wife and kids. I want to at least tell them goodbye.”

God was patient. “You can still talk to them, but they will not hear you. You can still watch over them, but they will not see you. You will not live in your house anymore, but you will live in their hearts for the rest of their days. And they will join you here as well. It will seem like years for them, decades really. But for you and I, it will only seem like a few moments.”

Brad scratched his head. “This is lot to handle all at once. So, you’re saying a few moments. I’m not quite sure how long that is up here. And it still sounds like I have to do some waiting. So what am I supposed to do in the meantime?”

God said, “I have prepared a room for you. It will be ready in a few moments as well.” He handed Brad a baseball cap, and placed another one on his own head.

“So in the meantime, we’re going fishing. I know a great spot. I will take you there now.”

(Brad loved to fish)

No comments:

Post a Comment